Wednesday 30 March 2016

I went weak at the knees when this popped into my email:

A book that will break your heart and then restore your hope for humanity, March 29, 2016
By Francis Guenette This review is from: Broken (Kindle Edition)

Sometimes you get lucky and happen upon a book that breaks your heart. Broken is such a book and Barbara Spencer is a writer who knows how to bring the reader along through the thick and the thin of trouble, right to edge of despair and then, like a magician, she waves her wand and makes it all come out right.

There are so many wonderful things to say about this book, I hardly know where to start. It is the rare author that can render the voice of a fourteen-year-old boy with as much depth and believability as she can bring to a somewhat hardened going-on-thirty social worker - but Spencer manages this feat hands down.

Then there is the writing - words flow through descriptions that leap off the page with vitality. I'm not going to say anything about the story - it has to be discovered for itself. But I will say this - at about the three-quarters mark, I wanted the book to end the way it did so badly I could scarce get my breath.

Read this book - you won't be sorry. It will make you believe once again in happy endings that glitter like gold as they sit in the dustbin of cold, hard reality. Such is life and some truths of life are best rendered in fiction.

Visit my website Barbara Spencer.

Check out my facebook page Barbara Spencer on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment